Friday, March 18, 2011

Diagramming Systems

Post your thoughts and impression about systems diagrams and diagramming. Do CLDs make sense to you? What seem to be their uses & advantages. What about Stock and FLow diagrams? Do they make sense? How are they different and similar to CLDs; what are their strengths? (all from your perspective)

I think it's good that put this assignment off, really, because my perspective on Causal Loop Diagrams has ebbed and flowed throughout the creation of our CLD for our ALP project. Although the creation of the diagram was not easy, and even painful (metaphorically of course) at times, my hindsight is much clearer on their value. My overall feelings on Causal Loop Diagrams:

Pros:
*They force those involved to listen to and consider the perspectives of the other people assisting in the diagram process.
*They bring unanticipated variables/relationships to the surface.
*They really do highlight leverage points! We changed our entire perspective after wallowing through our CLD.
*You can't enter the CLD process, and later exit knowing the same amount of information. You WILL learn about your system.

Cons:
*Only a very simple diagram would be good for the uninitiated.
*They are difficult to make "pretty".
*They can lead to interpersonal conflict.

I wish we could have spent more time dealing with Stock and Flow diagrams, but there are only so many hours in the day. They seem very useful, because they're easier to understand. From an analogy perspective: I understand a draining bathtub more than a ecosystem. I am still unclear about some of the diagramming aspects of Stock and Flow diagrams (the arrows are not always clear to me, especially the ones that loop back on themselves). However, I get a sense of their utility. The thing I like about Stock and Flow diagrams, and the idea that we live in a finite world with finite resources is absolutely integrated into the diagramming process. You can often try an explain to someone that a particular resource will eventually run out, but a diagram helps illustrate this point very effectively.

I wanted to look at some examples of Stock and Flow, and I found this one below from a quick google search. It is a stock and flow diagram meant to model new product use. I immediately though, heck--this could model all sorts of things in Sustainability! The model below only has word of mouth as a way of increase adoption. However, why does the diagram have double arrows coming from Adopters? Seems like this could be even further simplified?

File-Adoption_SFD.gif


So this brings me to comparing CLD and S & F D. At first I thought, well, S & F D are simpler, but after seeing the examples on the world wide web, I am not so sure! I do like that they are centered around processes (flows), and I like that you can center your eyes to that process easily and quickly. I think both CLDs and S & F D tells stories, and diagram behaviors. I am definitely unclear on the decision making process for choosing a CLD or a S & F D. It seems that S & F D have much stricter boundaries, which may not be useful when dealing with a complex system.


Because of the ALP, I definitely have a better grasp on CLDs than S & F Ds. I would not have said the same thing 6 weeks ago!



1 comment:

  1. Michelle, I'm glad the usefulness of CLD finally came into light for you and the benefits you have identified are indeed key. On the cons side, I'd like to say that we have used very simple models early in class (rabbits and folks) but those are only good for learning about the techniques, not much to learn about the system. I don't believe one should try to make a CLD "pretty" even though i do agree CLDs do have a certain aesthetic and that I usually can tell just looking at the way the CLD is constructed (its shape) whether it's a well-constructred CLD or not. But it's only when one starts looking into the details of the variables, connections and the stories they tell that one really understands the structure of the system.

    Now, another important point: True, since collaborating on the development of a CLD usually brings diverse mental models to the surface (that's to me, their main benefits), they might lead to interpersonal conflicts. But I would think that the benefit of the CLD is to help participants make their mental models explicit so that they can explore their validity and understand that their individual point of view might be limited and inaccurate. So, in a way, I think that CLDs are great tools to help resolve conflicts and move people from individual positions to exploring the origins of their mental models.

    S&F are more difficult to build yet I understand why they seem simpler to you considering your training and way of thinking. This is great!

    I could not see the pic you attached but I have an idea because the adoption of technology (or new concept/product) is a well known and often used example of S&F. I will send you by email one model, which you can build yourself and play with as a simulation...

    ReplyDelete