I found the CAS/LS materials to be the most fascinating and intriguing of the materials presented during the course. It seems to be a field that explains so much---if CAS can't explain it, then surely math can, and then what's left to explain other than emotion? I feel like the CAS materials explain so much of ecology, evolution, and life, and I walked away thinking this field is highly understudied (probably just my ignorance, but I have never heard of CAS before this course!).
CAS has greatly influenced my thinking, and it is an area I long to learn more and more about.
There were a few points in the materials that I want to focus on because they really stood out to me:
Chaotic Systems: This seems so pertinent to describing so many things I've studied in my career as a computer modeler, a biologist, and other related fields, it's almost overwhelming. I remember when I was younger, and I used to believe in God as the Catholic Church perceived God. I would struggle with the idea of the holy trinity. It is something like the mind's struggle to accept a system can generate order and disorder simultaneously. I also came away with the fact that ecologists and evolutionary biologists are GREATLY misusing the term random. I look forward to learning more about chaotic systems in nature.
Autopoiesis: I still struggle with the definition of this. My struggle is due to my determination to distinguish between living and non-living systems. When I first read about this term in Capra, I didn't want to apply it to computer programs. I am ok with saying a non-living system can be autopoietic-like, but I don't like applying autopoiesis to machines. I have more understanding to gain here.
Single-vs-Double Loop Learning: Wow. What can I say? This is getting posted somewhere I can see it all the time. I strive for double loop learning, but of course, fall short in so many ways.
The Edge of Chaos: Like-wise, the edge of chaos had a profound effect on me. I can see why some many things are not changing, that we hope would. American politics comes to mind- until citizens approach that edge of chaos, we are never going to emerge at a higher level. Think of all the "New Emerging Possibilities?"
Michelle, thank you for this final post. Just one comment: Autopoiesis theory only be applies to living systems. Autopoiesis is the definition of life. This is a very important thing to remember so you cannot use this theory within the context of machines...now, the fact that the theory can be SIMULATED with computers, is a completely different thing...but what is in fact simulated is not autopoiesis but creativity at the edge of chaos (i'm speaking here of the automata mentioned in Capra).
ReplyDeleteYour learning journey about CAS and LS is about to begin...my best wishes...
Beatrice